Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Run for the Roses and Mother's Day Wishes

Hello and Happy Tuesday!!

May has started with many inspiring card making opportunities... May Day, Derby Day, Star Wars Day, Cinco de mayo (have you seen the silly mayonnaise in the sink posts), and of course Mother's Day! I didn't want to miss out on all the creative fun so here are my contributions to two of my favorite, Derby Day and Mother's Day.  While my husband was watching all the pre-race programs for the Kentucky Derby, I pulled out my art journal and created this page as I listened in the other room. The background was created by blending Pan Pastels across the pages, stamping the squares with Versamark ink, and then going over the area with the same Pan Pastel colors.  Because Versamark is clear and sticky, the pastel darkened where the stamp was placed. I then coated the pastels with gel medium and because I used a dry brush, the color did not lift off or muddy. The roses were stamped onto cardstock and I colored them using oil pencils and cut out.  The horses were stamped and colored with india ink. The entire project was covered with gel medium so I could do some shading and protect the layers. I hope this gives California Chrome some positive vibes for a Triple Crown Year....Sorry it wasn't a KY bred horse, but I love the rags to riches story :).

Before I share my Mother's Day creations, some Stamp to Cope, updates....

- So excited to share that Stamp to Cope, Inc. in now an approved option for all Thrivent policy holders that participate in Thrivent Choice Dollars! Please consider selecting Stamp to Cope when making your choice.   See your Thrivent representative or check out the Thrivent Choice Dollars program for more details.
- STC was invited to  participate in a new project in Berea called First Fridays.  As part of a community sharing, the Village Trough and Berea Tourism are hosting activities every Friday through the Spring and Summer. I am in communication for specifics but it looks like the ability to have a table each Friday (or any amount of Fridays) to provide STC information and share our mission.
- Berea Festival Learnshops registration and advertising is picking up steam.  This is STC's largest fundraising event so I am excited to be receiving such wonderful public relations support to showcase our workshops.  Be sure to check it out, register, and spread the word.  THANKS!

Now, back to the creative portion of the blog :)!
I made this card for my most wonderful Mother-in-Love (swiped that saying from my sister)!  The fun part of this card is that I used the same technique from my journal page...see it is working!  This time, though, I layered the Pan Pastel colors...yellow first, then purple over top.  As you can see, when I stamped with Versamark and went back over with the purple, the layered colors just popped! The sunflower was stamped on cardstock, colored with oil pencils, and cut out.  I used layering tape to give it some lift.  I am mailing it today so she gets it in plenty of time!

Next post, I will share the card I made for my Mother...definitely an experiment (the card not my mom ;))!!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.
love,
Jeannette

No comments:

Post a Comment