Saturday, December 15, 2012

Original Art for the Holidays!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Many things have been happening at STC since my last post so I apologize for the gap. Before I get started, I wanted to send out love and prayers to the Sandy Hook community....there are truly no right words.

We started out the month with a very unique event.  The coordinator of the Berea Chapter of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)  contacted me with a request to prepare a workshop for their monthly meeting.  I was thrill to be able to serve this population, some of whom are breast cancer survivors. They wanted to make something with a winter theme to head into the holidays and Joshua, my son, came along to help.  I am sure glad he wanted to come because the organization advertised the event and we had 19 in attendance! Above are a few of the cards made.  The snowflake background paper was embossed with an embossing folder (Cuttlebug and Tim Holtz Sissix) and the participants could choose from a variety of snowmen stamps.  The focal technique was White Crayon Resist (one of my favorites) where the image is stamped on white cardstock, colored with a white crayon, and then the entire piece is covered in ink.  The ink will "resist" anywhere the wax from the white crayon has been laid down. A great way to have color coordination without having to have colored paper. It was wonderful to see a whole new world open up for some of the participants.

In an effort to do some fundraising for STC and the Berea Arts Council, I created two new products using stamping techniques for participation in the Original Art Gifts II . The first was an effort in making jewelry..
The picture is not so great because I am taking it through the display case but you can see there are 3 earring/necklace sets.  I used stamping embossing techniques on brass and then used inking techniques from my stamping projects and sanded off the ink on the raised portions. I then covered it in a protective glaze, added a ring for the leather chord, and taaa daaa. They are getting good reviews and I have already had to make 3 more sets. We even got some STC PR on the additional information card they posted above the display case.

The second product in the gallery is an idea I have wanted to try since I saw something similar created by Jennifer McGuire on her blog.  These unique sets of cards are created so that the owner can actually choose the sentiment based on the need.... you won't see that in Walmart.  In addition, for each Iris within the package I used a different type of coloring medium - Copic, watercolor, pencil, Inktense, ink, stain, etc. to give it a classical artist flare.
The event will continue through December 29, so stop on by or click on the like above for an Internet view.

Funny how one thing leads to another but a direct result of participation in the Original Art event was a large custom order I received from someone who saw my cards.  Just from this one individual's order, STC was able to raise $50.  The individual was so pleased, she mentioned our organization to others and STC received a check for $100 as a thank you donation for what we are doing.  Thank you!

Finally, a shout out to an original STC supporter, Shanna.  Shanna's company, A Sense of Order in Lexington, has donated 3 large boxes of crafting supplies given to her by one of her clients. Some of the items include 100 ink pads of various colors, 100 ink refills, cardstock, embellishments, and a large brown paper grocery bag (of course I can even use that as paper) FULL of stamps. We continue to be blessed!

Hug each other and send up a prayer for those in need.  Merry Christmas, Jeannette


No comments:

Post a Comment