Thursday, June 21, 2012

Good Timber

Now that the official day to celebrate Fathers has passed, I wanted to share the card I made for my husband.  As many of you know, he is a very talented wood crafter so this creation was intended to honor his deep respect for trees.  I created the grain background by embossing a green piece of card stock that had a white core and then sanding off some of the color to emphasize the grain. The wood style oval trim was made by stamping a wood pattern on white card stock and then coloring with Copic markers to bring out the browns.  For the tree, I used Memento markers to color the leaves and trunk directly on the stamp using the huffing technique to reactivate the ink before stamping onto white cardstock. The sky background was done with Distress Ink and a sponge applicator.  Added a sentiment and some pearls to finish it off.

Speaking of trees, I am on a quest to obtain a Mimosa tree for my yard.  When I was a child we had a Mimosa tree and I spent many hours either in it or under it reading and dreaming.  Sometimes during treatment to distract myself,  I would think about the sweet scent and beautiful puffy pink "powder puff" flowers and relax. As I was thinking of new ways to "destress", it finally dawned on me to get a Mimosa tree  for myself. Seemed like an easy thing to do right? Wrong.  I tried all my local nurseries...nope.  In fact, people were quite rude letting me know that the tree was considered an invasive species. One even called it a scrub tree. Then I ordered and paid for 2 saplings over the Internet from a nursery in GA.  What a disaster! They took my money and 6 months later I received two sticks with roots. One never made it and the other turned out to be an Ash tree.  After that, someone suggested I visit a local lake where they were all over the place and dig up a shoot..no luck there. I even stopped by a house where one was growing to see if they would give me a sapling but no one was home. Finally, I contacted the landscaper for Berea College and he said he would see if they could get me something but indicated that I needed to wait until fall.  So keep your fingers crossed and if you have any other ideas, please post a comment so I can follow up.  Truly must be some "good timber" to be so difficult to obtain. :).


Have a great week. Jeannette

1 comment:

  1. I remember that tree! The pink fuzzy flowers looked like pixies flying when the wind blew. Your card and your techniques are so unique. Can't wait to see your next creation. Love You, Shirley

    ReplyDelete